I have tried unsuccessfully to load pictures a few times and haven't had wifi until this point...so I will try again before I log off.
We finally made it out of California after William caught 14 fish in Crescent City. They were black snapper and we had them for 3 meals in a row...okay, not the children, they still prefer peanut butter to fish, but William and I enjoyed them.
They have a batter up here called 'Pride of West' and it is a really nice taste and texture. We met an older man at the docks and he told us to go to Ray's grocery and get some Pride of the West...and he was right!!!
Well, let me backtrack a bit.
After leaving Pacifica last Friday, we went up past San Francisco on the coast--a really really curvy piece of the hwy 1 we only made it to Muir woods and camped on a cliff on the side of the road. The view was incredible.
They next day we made just a bit more up the coast to Salt Point, CA and camped down by the ocean where William tried to fish off some big rocks in the ocean. The children loved playing on the rocks and John really showed his daredevil side by climbing as all over as I chased him to make sure he didn't fall to his demise!!
I think the campgrounds name was Gerstle Cove in Ca State park sys, they put us in overflow which was more beautiful than the regular spots.
Then Sunday, we made it to Eureka...which sounds nice, but we stayed on Samoa island and it was a yucky little spot, but William did get to fish of jetty. John lost a a grey new balance tennis shoe in grey beach sand. So we spent a while search until we decided that we were glad he had nearly outgrown that pair of shoes!
Julia made friends with the campers beside us, Nancy and Bill, they were really sweet and let Julia look around there camper over and over again. She's so curious about what is inside everyone elses camper (like they have a Willy Wonka factory inside their camper :)
Well, we were glad to press on north bound to Cresent City. We stayed really close to the beach and it was perfect because William got a chance to fish while we played at the beach.
Tuesday we had a harrowing experience as we went up to Gold Beach Oregon and turned off East to go towards Grants Pass onto a road that should never be travelled by RV's. I think it was the 23 E and park road and it was AWFUL!!! We only went 30+ miles on it which took atleast 3.5 hrs. It was one lane with turnouts, and gravel breaks everywhere with huge drop offs to oblivion!! On the way down the brakes caught fire they got so hot even though we we going in low gear as much as possible. So we had to stop for a while to let them cool. We got our picnic chairs down and thought we'd have a picnic when huge swarms of mosquitos attacked! Then when we started driving again, a plague of locust looking bugs started showering the windscreen....I thought I was in a chapter of the Old Testament.
But then God seriously had grace
1. By allowing us to reach the otherside of the mountain alive
2. By leading us to the nicest campground ever (Indian Mary -just E of Grants Pass)
We revived our spirits and took warm showers, played at the playground, cooked our fish. And ate drank and were merry!
Yesterday, we made it through Oregon and went to Multnomah Falls (amazing)
and last night made it just South of Olympia WA where we stayed in a Walmart along with atleast 10 other RV's. We hope to make it across into Canada today...We are a bit worried about border crossing with our trailer so full. If they search we may never get it all packed back in...so pray for an easy border crossing.
No luck loading pics again.
Love Winnie Gypsies
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Oh my word, how scary about the road and the breaks. I'm glad you guys made it down safely.
I am enjoying reading your travel blog. It's like a movie!! With a happy ending of course...safe travels!!
Miss you!!! Miss you!!! Miss you!!! I wish I were as brave as you and your trust in the Lord is amazing!!! When you get somewhere where I can call you please let me know! Oh L! Miss you!!! Miss you!!! Miss you!!!
Post a Comment